hSo much diversity has come to the work place such that organizations and the human resources teams must be adequately prepared to handle it if they want to remain relevant and attractive. The new generation of workers are uniquely different in their personality types and self-actualization needs from the previous generations. This diversities, disruptions and changes being experienced globally are caused by factors such as;
- International laws
- Corporate social responsibility
- Climate changes
Developing competencies & capabilities for the work place now require different skill sets, competencies and policies. For example, work places now need smart offices that have amenities like free wifi services, creche, flexi-time work, rest lounge and so on. The swift and fast changing organizations are gradually taking over the slower paced ones and this trend will continue until all organizations that are slow to change would be completely fazed out. This changes can be seen clearly in the evolving functions of the employers , the employees and the human resources departments.
Organizations are now beginning to inculcate such ideologies as;
- Being very fast learners.
- Open minded and welcoming to new ideas.
- Flexible and adaptable.
- Commercially agile.
- Collaboration and partnership minded.
- Business Intelligence savvy; data and pattern analysis.
- Continuous improvement mindset; e.g use of gadgets & technology.
Human Resource Functions
HR functions have already started evolving as they have begun to;
- Redesign their talent acquisition strategies.
- Allow for “intra-preneurship”.
- Invest in leadership development.
- Update and integrate new technologies.
- Re-engineer performance management systems.
- Upgrade talent management systems.
- Commit to diversity and inclusion of employees in decision making processes.
- Develop credible workforce succession plans.
The competencies and skills organizations require from their employees in this forth industrial era include;
- Virtual collaboration i.e. the ability to attend global meetings via conference calls.
- Logical reasoning ans sense making competence.
- Global nature and cross cultural competence; no more tribalism and segregation in the work place.
- Novel adaptive thinking; the ability to think outside the box.
- Ability to work without supervision.
- Computational thinking and ability to handle lots of data.
- Problem solving skills.
- Ability to multi-task and diversify.
- Great communication skills, empathy, people profiling, etc.