In this tutorial, I explain how you can safely download the latest version of the EOS Scatter Wallet, by doing a quick hash check using a native Windows command. You will not need any additional software and it will cost you about a minute.
Using this method, you can determine if the file that you have downloaded is cryptographically proven identical to the file that is posted on Github.
• First, go to the download page of Scatter. https://github.com/GetScatter/ScatterDesktop/releases/
• Before you click the download button, make sure the green lock in the address bar shows Github, Inc [US] and click the lock to see if the https certificate is still valid.
• Now click and download the file you want to download: (win-scatter-9.5.0.exe in this example).
• Now before installing the file, first open a command line window:
right click the windows button –> click execute –> and type: cmd
• Now, in this command line window, go to the directory where you downloaded your Scatter installation file (probably your standard download folder):
(Replace ‘YOURNAME’ with your normal windows username)
• Now to start the hash check, type:
certutil -hashfile win-scatter-9.5.0.exe SHA256
• If the command returns the same hashfile that is stated below the download on the Github page, you are good to go and you can now safely install Scatter.
Good luck and be safe!