Before checking out the great apps and tools on EOS, there are a few things you need to understand about how EOS works:
In EOS, all token holders get a chance to vote for block producers. Any tokens you have staked can be used for voting. Any unstaked tokens will not have voting power. For more information on voting, read my article HERE.
Because EOS is an operating system, designed to create dApps on, then a lot of the utility of the EOS tokens is based on resources for running applications: RAM usage, CPU usage, storage, and bandwidth usage.
When you “stake” a token for any one of these resources, then you are essentially “borrowing” that much of that resource for an application that you wish to run. When you no longer need that resource, you can unstake your tokens.
Staking for CPU and bandwidth is fairly straightforward, while staking for RAM is a little more complex (and requires a fee to be paid). At present, staking for storage space is still not available.
If you do not wish to run an application on EOS yourself, then you can consider leasing your tokens to someone who does. Not every developer will want to buy EOS tokens in order to run their application, and some will want to lease them instead. Leasing your EOS tokens is a way for you to make money from your EOS on an ongoing basis.
Accounts and token transfer
Unlike other blockchains, EOS uses accounts as well as private and public keys. In order to purchase an account you will need to purchase a certain amount of RAM.
To transfer your EOS to another person/account, you will need their account name. You can’t send tokens directly to a public key that doesn’t have an account attached.
Now that you’ve got a general idea of how EOS tokens work, let’s look at some great tools for using them. Some of these are for everyday use, while others are specifically for developers and dApp builders.
Wallets and Other Tools:
Scatter – https://get-scatter.com
Scatter, by Nathan James, is probably one of the most useful tools in your EOS arsenal, as it allows you use a range of other tools without exposing your private keys.
If you’ve ever used Metamask for Ethereum, then it works in a similar way. You can access the EOS blockchain via a website and instead of directly inputing your keys – Scatter signs the transactions for you (making it much safer).
It has two main components:
Keypairs provide a way to import a public and private key into Scatter. You can have any number of EOS keypairs in Scatter.
You can also generate new keypairs in Scatter, but a keypair MUST be associated with an account, and you can’t currently create a new account in Scatter. Generating keypairs and creating accounts is better done with other tools (see below).
Identities in Scatter allow you to match your keypair (and associated EOS account) to a range of personal information such as name, email address, address etc.
This allows you to easily send these details to any website without the need to enter them each time.
- Very flexible: can be used on a wide range of websites
- Supports unlimited EOS accounts/keypairs
- Not very useful just by itself as doesn’t have any inbuilt features (transfer, balance checking, etc.)
Watch the video below to see how Scatter works:
Genereos Toolkit (web app that integrates with Scatter) – https://toolkit.genereos.io
The Genereos Toolkit is an amazing suite of tools created by Nathan Hempel from Genereos (a block producer candidate).
It has a range of great functions for both users and developers.
- Find account data based on account name or public key
- Create a new account (currently only possible if you have an existing account)
- Transfer EOS
- Stake and Unstake EOS for either CPU usage or Bandwidth (you can either stake for your own account or for someone else’s account).
- Purchase or Sell RAM
- Vote for block producers
- Become a proxy (for voting purposes)
- Assign someone else as a proxy (for voting purposes)
- Bid on premium EOS names
- Change the public/private keys of an EOS account (read more in this article HERE)
- The widest selection of features of any of the tools
- Needs Scatter to use
Watch the video below to see how it’s used.
(Please note: in the video above I mentioned that I wasn’t sure about how the permissions function worked. That has now been explained in the article here on how to change your keys for an EOS account).
EOS voter and wallet (desktop wallet) – https://github.com/greymass/eos-voter
The EOS voter is another great app created by Team Greymass (another one of the EOS block producer candidates).
It has a range of functions:
- Voting for block producers
- Checking your EOS balance
- Staking and Unstaking your EOS for CPU or bandwidth
- Transferring EOS to another account
- Great voting feature
- Nice UI
- Runs on desktop so no need to enter private keys each time or use Scatter
- Very easy to stake/unstake
- Only supports one EOS account at a time (if you have multiple accounts you can’t see them)
- Limited features compared to EOStoolkit
Watch the following video to see how it’s used:
Simpleos (desktop wallet) – https://github.com/eosrio/simpleos
SimplEOS is an EOS wallet with a great UI that also allows you to vote.
It’s main function is to send and receive EOS tokens, and it has a built in contact list that easily allows you to do this.
However, it does not have any of the other functions of the above tools.
- Great user interface
- Ability to see multiple accounts at the same time (if they’re linked to the same public key)
- Ability to easily see other EOS tokens such as those airdropped to you
- Limited functionality
Watch the video below to see how it works:
Key Generation: https://nadejde.github.io/eos-token-sale/
New Account Creation (even for people without existing accounts): https://www.zeos.co/
Block explorer: https://eospark.com/
Token leasing platform: https://chintai-eos.io/
Resource planner for dApps: https://www.eosrp.io/
Voting Portal: http://eosportal.io/chain/12/producers
Thanks very much for reading. If you’ve found any other great tools then please post them in the comments below!
If you’d like to join Trybe, then register now and get 100 free TRYBE tokens!