We all must have heard of Diabetes, either from a friend or friends, a colleague at work or school, or you must have been thought about it in school. But when I first heard about diabetes was when my dad was diagnosed of having it. I remember how devastated he was when he got the news. I was little at the time, so I couldnt make much sense to what was going on, only thing I knew that my dad had suffered a little injury that was taking too long to heal. In the coming weeks, I watch as my dads meals changed dramatically, and saw him take a whole lot of sophisticated drugs.
Diabetes is formally known as Diabetes Mellitus, it is a category metabolic ailment where the level of sugar in the blood is high and this last for an extended period of time. A few indications from someone suffering from diabetes will observe a heightened level of thirst, frequent urination, and an increased urge to eat food even immediately after meals – hunger. If this symptoms are left unattended to, they will lead to major complications such as hyperosmolar hyperglycemic state, diabetic ketoacidosis and sometimes, they can even lead to death of the victim.
This disorder happens due to the inability of the pancreas to produce insulin, or the victims body isnt responding properly to insulin.
Types of Diabetes
Here are the three major types of diabetes
Type 1: Previously known as juvenile diabetes or IDDM which stands for Insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. It is known to stem from the failure of the victims pancreas to produce enough insulin. The root of this deficiency is still unknown.
Type 2: This disorder starts with the body rejecting insulin, this develops when the victims cells stops responding properly to insulin. Initially, this form of disorder was known as adult onset diabetesor NIDDM which stands for non Insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. The root of this kind of diabetes is commonly due to lack of adequate exercise, and unrestrained body weight
Gestational Diabetes is a form of diabetes that is relatively different from the previous two types mentioned above, as it is observed when an expecting or pregnant mothers. During pregnancy, the development of the baby requires great quantity of glucose. Also, during this period, there is a mass change of hormones, which in turn affects the activities of insulin, resulting in high level of blood sugar.
This mostly occur to ladies that initially had no known history of Diabetes Mellitus. That now spontaneously diagnosed with high levels of blood sugar.
The groups of expecting mothers that are exposed to being afflicted with gestational diabetes includes:
- Ladies that are overweight
- Have a strong family history of the disease
- Are over 25 years of age
- Are from any of these descents: Asian-American, Hispanic, Native-America, African-American
But in most cases, the blood sugar level are known to drop down to normal levels after childbirth.Later in life, ladies that have suffered from gestational diabetes are predispose to suffering from Type 2 diabetes sometime in the future.
These are the three main types of Diabetes that is commonly known, we will be looking at the various signs and symptoms in detail, that will help us detect if we or someone that is close to us is suffering from this ailment.
Symptoms and Signs
Some of the obvious symptoms of this disease includes:
- Increased urination frequency
- Heighten thirst
- Strange loss of weight
- Increased appetite for food
- Always feeling tired and weak
- Dryness of the mouth
- Constantly suffering from yeast infection
- Delayed healing of cuts, sores and bruises
- Blurred or bad vision
- Itchy skin marked with dryness in sensitive areas such as the vagina
- Tingling and numb feeling in the feet and hands
Major Causes of Diabetes
In the digital age that we live in today, the primary cause of diabetes is widely known, but below are some key factors that will future put your life at risk of having diabetes, and they include:
- Heritage, diabetes is said to be passed down from generation to generation. So family history plays a key role in getting a person afflicted with the ailment.
- People from these descents: Asian-American, Hispanic, Native-America, African-American, have a strong chance of getting diabetes
- Stress that pertain to the illness and surgery also increases the chances of getting infected with diabetes
- Diseases such as high blood pressure, and autoimmune diseases also aids
- Massive body weight
- As discussed above, pregnancy also causes diabetes
- Years of high alcohol intake increases the risks of diabetes, as well as smoking
- Unusual triglyceride and cholesterol levels
- Injury affecting the pancreas either in form of surgery, infection, or accident
- The overuse of certain drug medications such as medication for blood pressure or steroids
- As mentioned earlier, after child delivery that was marked with gestational diabetes, victims are exposed to suffering from type 2 diabetes later in life.
Note: Sugar doesnt cause diabetes, excessive intake of sugar can lead to the decay of ones tooth, but it doesnt necessarily causes diabetes.
Prevention and Treatment
Diabetes is sort of a lifestyle disease, treating and maintaining involves a lot of dedication. One needs to engage in physical body exercises, eat a healthy diet, avoid the consumption of tobacco. Also, ensure to regulate ones blood pressure, as well as take proper care of ones foot especially those that are infected already.
People with Type 1 diabetes are encouraged to manage their conditions with the help of insulin injections, whereas patients with Type 2 diabetes can have their medical conditions managed with the administration of drugs and somethings with insulin, other times without insulin.
Gestational diabetes naturally gets resolves after the child is born