Hi everyone, I hope we have all had a great week so far? I have, despite my new diet and exercise regime! Both have been a little upsetting because I can’t eat the things I love to eat, however I have an undeniable joy inside of me, a constant heady dance beat going on in my head because of the beautiful figures I can see on my weighing scale. It’s working! I am losing the unwanted weight! The week has just begun so there is still time enough to turn things around in your favor if you haven’t been having such a great time. To do that, you’ll need to note the things that have been a downer for you and the things that have the potential to turn you on mentally and psychologically. Then be very deliberate in your actions by deleting the downers or becoming determined not to let them get you down and inculcate the highs/dopamine inducers into your daily schedule at least once a day. You’ll be amazed at how your week would take a turn for the better! All that was just preamble and friendly advice from your “friendly neighborhood Psychologist”…lol. My main topic of discussion for today is “Work-Life Balance”.
Recently, my husband’s been teasing me a lot about being more in love with the laptop than with him. Uhmmm…I know there is a thin line between his jokes and true feelings so I have taken that as a warning of some sorts. I guess that’s one of the “work hazards” of being an active blockchain blogger/content creator. There is just soo much to do, to read and to digest. There are just so many amazing articles to learn from and even as I try to focus on these, my Whatsapp messages keep beeping on and off. In fact, I had to turn off data on my phone this morning and log out of whatsappweb on the laptop just to focus! Discord makes it even more beautifully complicated with the multiple channels and the playful bots and the lovely music! Seriously guys, have you learnt to compartmentalize your activities so that working online doesn’t interfere with regular day to day activities?
What Is Work-Life Balance (WLB)?
Work-life balance is simply the ability to effectively manage your life at work as well as your life at home without any one affecting the other adversely. Our use of smart mobile phones and multifaceted social media apps like Google, Whaleshares, Steemit, Discord, Whatsapp, Instagram, Skype etc have made it even easier to work without having to do the regular 8am to 5am kind of jobs and still be busier than those who do!
Work–life balance is the term used to describe the balance that an individual needs between time allocated for work and other aspects of life. Areas of life other than work-life can be, but not limited to personal interests, family and social or leisure activities. WIKIPEDIA
Consequences of Work-Life Imbalance
- You begin to spend less time with your family and friends.
- You begin to refrain from things that you enjoy normally.
- You no longer focus on spending time to develop yourself personally and spiritually.
- You feel constantly stressed or close to a burnout
All these could lead to both psychological and physiological issues like insecurity, irritability, exhaustion, headaches, migraines, stiffness of your muscles, backache, sexual problems between couples, weaker immune system and so many others.
Improving Work-Life Balance
- Work at jobs you have a passion for. It allows you focus on things you are good at, and things you enjoy doing.
- Manage your time efficiently by having a schedule and prioritizing properly
- Ensure you set aside some time just for yourself, doing things you enjoy, things that relax you
- Have fixed hours for work and do your best to maintain those hours
- Always plan your finances ahead, have a workable budget.
- Plan your life both in the short term and in the long term. It would help determine your to-do lists.
- Ensure you have a personalized work-station or work space.
- Know your limit and take time off when you need it regardless of the pressure to go on.
If you take heed of all of the above, you would definitely experience less stress, increased happiness, better health, increased productivity both at work and at home, as well as a positive perception of life. Do tell me if you think it’s worth it or not, to have a great work-life balance. Share your thoughts with me and feel free to add your unique voice by contributing an addition, subtraction or adjustment to all I have shared.